Falcons' Ricardo Allen out for season with torn Achilles
- Benintendi's catch helps BoSox go up 3-1
- Kershaw dominant, Dodgers take 3-2 lead
- Red Sox's Sale won't pitch ALCS Game 5
- Ex-USA Gymnastics president arrested
- Machado fined for kicking 1B Aguilar
- Astros cleared by MLB in photo incident
- Leonard has 24 in debut to lead Raptors
- Davis, Mirotic help Pelicans rip Rockets
- Miami QB Tannehill out 2nd straight game
- Bills to start Anderson at QB vs. Colts
ATLANTA (AP) Falcons starting safety Ricardo Allen will miss the remainder of the season with a torn left Achilles tendon, dealing another blow to Atlanta's already injury-ravaged defense.
The team made the announcement a day after the Falcons' 43-37 loss to the Saints in overtime. Allen was carted off the field in the middle of the fourth quarter.
The fourth-year veteran from Purdue is the leader of the Falcons' defense. He has played both safety spots and nickel cornerback.
That left a void in a unit that lost starting strong safety Keanu Neal to a season-ending knee injury in the season opener. Starting middle linebacker Deion Jones is out for at least eight games because of a foot injury. Neal and Jones were Pro Bowl alternates last season.
Atlanta also played Sunday without starting defensive end Takk McKinley, who has a groin strain.
Atlanta hosts Cincinnati on Sunday.
More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Updated September 24, 2018