Falcons' Ricardo Allen out for season with torn Achilles
- Eagles' Wentz has sore back, status iffy
- Jackson still Ravens' QB, Flacco backup
- Bills hold RB McCoy out of practice
- NFL names home teams for London, Mexico
- Penn ends 'Nova's 25-game Big 5 streak
- McCutchen, Phils agree to 3 years, $50M
- Roethlisberger expects to face Patriots
- Vikes fire OC after another poor showing
- Jays release SS Tulowitzki, owe him $38M
- White Sox acquire RHP Nova from Pirates
ATLANTA (AP) Falcons starting safety Ricardo Allen will miss the remainder of the season with a torn left Achilles tendon, dealing another blow to Atlanta's already injury-ravaged defense.
The team made the announcement a day after the Falcons' 43-37 loss to the Saints in overtime. Allen was carted off the field in the middle of the fourth quarter.
The fourth-year veteran from Purdue is the leader of the Falcons' defense. He has played both safety spots and nickel cornerback.
That left a void in a unit that lost starting strong safety Keanu Neal to a season-ending knee injury in the season opener. Starting middle linebacker Deion Jones is out for at least eight games because of a foot injury. Neal and Jones were Pro Bowl alternates last season.
Atlanta also played Sunday without starting defensive end Takk McKinley, who has a groin strain.
Atlanta hosts Cincinnati on Sunday.
More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Updated September 24, 2018