Blue Jackets lock up top-line center Wennberg for 6 years
- Rangers, F Vesey agree to 2-year deal
- Devils agree with Fs Coleman, Noesen
- Police: Emery's drowning not suspicious
- Ducks extend Henrique for 5 yrs., $29.1M
- Flames sign F Lindholm for 6 years
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed free-agent center Alexander Wennberg to a six-year, $29.4 million contract.
The Blue Jackets announced the deal Friday, locking up their top-line center through the 2022-23 season, with a cap hit of $4.9 million a year. The 22-year-old Swede was a key part of a young team that set franchise records for wins and points and advanced to the playoffs last year.
Wennberg posted NHL career highs in 2016-17 with 13 goals and 46 assists for 59 points and a plus-9 plus/minus rating in 80 regular- season games. In his third year in the league, he led Columbus in assists and finished second in points to Cam Atkinson.
Updated September 1, 2017