Blue Jackets lock up top-line center Wennberg for 6 years
- Wild extend C Koivu for 2 years, $11M
- Top pick Hischier scores in debut
- Golden Knights roll in preseason opener
- Rest of NHL trying to stop Penguins
- Coyotes acquire Demers from Panthers
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed free-agent center Alexander Wennberg to a six-year, $29.4 million contract.
The Blue Jackets announced the deal Friday, locking up their top-line center through the 2022-23 season, with a cap hit of $4.9 million a year. The 22-year-old Swede was a key part of a young team that set franchise records for wins and points and advanced to the playoffs last year.
Wennberg posted NHL career highs in 2016-17 with 13 goals and 46 assists for 59 points and a plus-9 plus/minus rating in 80 regular- season games. In his third year in the league, he led Columbus in assists and finished second in points to Cam Atkinson.
Updated September 1, 2017