Blue Jackets star Werenski has shoulder surgery
- 'Canes sign Teravainen for 5 years, $27M
- Preds top Avs, give Laviolette 600th win
- Vatrano keys Panthers' rout of Sharks
- Coyle's late goal lifts Wild over Vegas
- LaDue breaks tie, Kings rally by Blues
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Columbus Blue Jackets defensemen Zach Werenski had surgery on a shoulder injury that has bothered him since early last season.
The team says full recovery is expected to take five to six months. General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen says Werenski will be ready "by the start of the season or shortly thereafter."
The 20-year-old Werenski had the procedure on Thursday in Columbus.
He said after the playoffs the injury from a game in October affected his slap shot the rest of the season.
Still, he and Seth Jones both had 16 goals, a franchise record for defensemen and fourth in the NHL among blue-liners. He has 27 goals and 57 assists in 155 career NHL games over the past two seasons.
Updated May 3, 2018