Blue Jackets star Werenski has shoulder surgery
- Sharks, F Kane closing in on 7-year deal
- Islanders hire ex-Devils GM Lamoriello
- Caps visit Tampa with Cup berth on line
- Canadiens sign G Niemi to 1-year deal
- Cup-seeking Wild unveil new GM Fenton
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Columbus Blue Jackets defensemen Zach Werenski had surgery on a shoulder injury that has bothered him since early last season.
The team says full recovery is expected to take five to six months. General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen says Werenski will be ready "by the start of the season or shortly thereafter."
The 20-year-old Werenski had the procedure on Thursday in Columbus.
He said after the playoffs the injury from a game in October affected his slap shot the rest of the season.
Still, he and Seth Jones both had 16 goals, a franchise record for defensemen and fourth in the NHL among blue-liners. He has 27 goals and 57 assists in 155 career NHL games over the past two seasons.
Updated May 3, 2018